Sunday, February 21, 2010

T

So I’ve been a little busy recently as now school is actually in full swing and have failed to update anything recently, and I figured I would make an update as I am currently in a hostal in Cordoba awaiting our meeting at 9 and I figured it I would spend my time more wisely than just watching Dr. Who.

I’m currently taking 4 classes at the university, 321, 323, 330, and 352. 321 is a two part course Spanish culture course that only meets Weds from 12-1 with one professor who teachers Spanish art, and then from 1-2 afterwards there is a different professor who teachers Spanish history. We really haven’t really done much in the history part, but the art portion will be a bit of a pain. Each week we cover a different artist and we have to write a 2-3 page paper every week on each week’s artist.

323 is “Spain Today” and our professor can’t speak. He seems to mumble everything and it’s rather hard to understand him but he seems pretty nice and the course doesn’t appear to be too bad. 330 is a literature course which appears to be pretty good. The professor enunciates pretty well and he’s quite enthusiastic about his subject, so I like this class so far. 352 is a phonology class with two different professors. We meet 3 times a week, two of which are from one professor and the other from a different professor. One of them is this nice Spanish lady who enjoys drawing pictures to explain what we don’t understand, and the other is this younger Spanish senora who I do not like. This class seems to be the most work as the two professors don’t seem to acknowledge each other and each assign homework and papers like they have their own class. For instance, this week we have a formal letter due from the angry one, and a paper from the other one due in the same week, in addition to the packet of homework assigned by the stupid lady. The younger one freaked out on us since we couldn’t answer this in class worksheet fast enough in groups and said to prepare better for next time and the packet it was over didn’t help us answer the questions at all. She’s rather awful…

But other than her, class is okay, I’m still a procrastinator and I’ve gotten an average of 4 hours of sleep a day this past week as I had a few papers due that I shouldn’t have waited to do. We have more papers here than we’ve ever had at ISU, so hopefully I’ll get better at writing those things in Spanish. Otherwise, I’m doing okay. I need some more candy though.

I’ve been taking waaay too many pictures and have been regularly (relatively speaking) uploading them to facebook. We’ve been taking trips out of town every single weekend since our first weekend so I’ve got quite a few pictures. So far we’ve been to Trujillo, Placencia, and Badajaz (in order to assist Carnval) and this weekend we first took a 6 hour bus ride to Granada and spent the night there and today we bussed to Cordoba where, and after being lost in the city since our bus driver apparently didn’t know where he was going, I am currently writing this entry on my laptop (and will be uploading it when I get home on Sunday night) since there is no free internet anywhere in Europe apparently. Since I can’t remember where the last blog stopped (and I’m out of time) I’ll try giving a bit more detail about all of our various daytrips when I get back and have some more time. Until then, check for the pictures from our trip to Granada and Cordoba sometime later this week and I’ll hopefully get back on top of my blog entries here eventually.

*Sunday Night: I just got back into Caceres and have homework to do (it's about 1 AM here), but I feel like I have to leave you with a picture of my favorite street performer ever

Saludos de Cordoba!

No comments:

Post a Comment