Saturday, January 30, 2010

Another Day

I guess I'm pretty far behind as far as far as updating this goes seeing as it's now Saturday and I have yet to write about anything other than Tuesday. Well as a brief overview since getting here on Tuesday and unpacking Tuesday night we've meet at Correos (the post office) nearly every day about 10:00 to go and do one thing or another.

Weds 1-27-09

We went to the library to get library cards and took a quick walk through the city to La Vieja which is a statue of an old woman who used to sell newspapers on the corner of that plaza everyday. So, when she died they made a statue of her. You can see the statue hidden amongst all the students.
In that same spot there is a church we when through and got a talk from the rector of it or something in which he told us the history of the church I think, but I honestly couldn't understand much of what he was saying because he was talking kind fast. It was pretty cool on the inside and in the courtyard there were orange trees growing, which was kind of weird. Lots of cool pictures to check out which I will direct you towards facebook if you want to see the rest of them.
Later that day after returning home and almuerzoing we met back up and walked over to the Centro de Comercial, which is more or less the mall. We met back up around 5 or so, and since it was a solid 20 minute walk the sun was starting to set by the time we got there. The mall is about the same size as North Grand, perhaps a little bigger as it's got a walmart-ish thing in it.
Also noteworthy is the fact that right now all over caceres there are Rebajas (sales) on practically everything in every store window. There is a movie theater inside that has movies for 4.65 Euro, so it's not outrageous but it's not a dollar theater. Otherwise, the mall looks to be a good source of shoes, clothing and purses, so, practically useless to me. After wandering Caceres for a few more days I feel more certain in my statement that every 2 of 3 stores sells exclusively purses, shoes, cloths, or jewelery. I feel like there is nothing for men to look here. I've found appliance shops and stuff but nothing full of electronics. I liked this picture of the two women looking into the store with the rebajas right above it. It seems about right.

I don't have Thursday's pictures on facebook yet so I guess I'll be leaving things off here until I get those uploaded. I'll leave you with another interesting picture from the candy store:

Saludos De Caceres

1 comment:

  1. We had La Gorda in Oviedo! Love the Spanglish (almuerzoing). Was the Walmart-ish store at the mall Carrefour?
    Saludos desde Florida! tu hermana

    ReplyDelete